New Student Registration for 2013-2014 School Year
The Twinsburg City School Board has specific procedures and requirement for student enrollment:
1. All students must live within the Twinsburg City School District, and provide proof of their residency and age eligibility.
2. Students entering Kindergarten must be five (5) years old on or before August 1st of the coming school year.
Students not meeting the age requirement; i.e., those born between August 2nd and December 31st of the coming school year, are eligible for an Early Entrance Evaluation. Please see the information below.
Registration forms are available in each school building office, the Board of Education and the Twinsburg Public Library. You may also download the packets using the links in the yellow area below.
To expedite the process, all forms must be completed. Bring your child’s original or certified birth certificate and immunization records. Children without birth certificates will not be enrolled. The secretaries (all Notaries Public) will make copies of your child’s documents and notarize the appropriate residency forms. The registering parent will need to provide his/her driver’s license or other photo ID.
Residency documentation is required in the form of a lease or rental agreement, or Warranty Deed for your home and two proofs (utility bill, pay stub, bank statement, etc.) showing current Twinsburg address.
If your child resides with you under a custody, divorce or guardianship agreement, you must provide the complete, certified and court time-stamped document to be copied.
Questions regarding the kindergarten program and registration can be directed to the Wilcox school office at 330-486-2030.
In addition to the completed registration packet, the following items are required for enrollment on registration day to be copied by registering staff: child’s birth certificate; health records including immunization records; a lease, rental agreement, or warranty deed; and two (2) proofs of residency: utility bill, pay stub, bank statement. If you are registering a high school student, you must bring official transcripts from the previous school verifying credits earned or grade level placement. Without official transcripts, entering students will be placed in the 9th grade. Because forms need to be notarized, you need to bring a photo ID (Driver’s license or State ID). The registering secretary will notarize all necessary documents.
TWINSBURG CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
Twinsburg’s Board of Education states that “a child is eligible for Kindergarten if she/he attains the age of five (5) on or before August 1st” of the coming school year. Children who do not meet the age criteria may apply for early entrance.
Early entrance to Kindergarten may be permitted if all of the following requirements are met:
a) The child’s 5th birthday is between August 2nd and December 31st of the year requested for Early Entrance.
b) The child’s cognitive ability, academic achievement, and aptitude result in an acceptable composite score on the Iowa acceleration scale.
c) The child possesses and demonstrates social and emotional characteristics that permit conformity with behavior commonly expected of children in kindergarten.
Additional information about Early Entrance can be found under Board Policy 5112 “Entrance Requirements.”
To request early entrance into Kindergarten for your child, please follow the steps outlined below to insure that the process is completed properly and in a timely manner.
1. Obtain an Early Entrance Packet from the Wilcox office.
2. Provide proof of residency (copy of deed, rental/lease agreement, or affidavit where appropriate) and a copy of the birth certificate indicating your child will be turning 5 (five) between August 2nd and December 31st for the upcoming school year.
3. Complete the parent questionnaires entitled: Early Entrance Information (Social Emotional Questionnaire), Assessment Permission Form, and the ASQ:SE (based on the child’s current age) and the ASQ-3.
4. Return the items listed above in Steps 2 and 3 in the envelope provided to the Wilcox office as quickly as possible.
5. Bring your child in for an individually scheduled appointment for assessment in the areas of cognitive ability, academic skills, and aptitude. You will be contacted by staff to schedule this appointment after the completed packet is returned.
6. Participate in a team conference to complete the Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS) to determine your child’s eligibility to enter school a year early.
You may elect, at your own expense, to provide assessments of your child’s cognitive ability, academic skills and aptitude from a state licensed professional to the team for review and incorporation into the IAS. If you select this option, please use the Early Entrance Letter for Licensed Professionals. All information must be provided to the team for review by the end of the first full week in May.
Denise Traphagen, Director of Pupil Services
Jennifer Farthing, Coordinator of Learning/Technology
Lynn Villa, Principal of Wilcox Primary School
Early Entrance evaluation is not an evaluation to determine readiness. State and local policies require the child’s ability to far exceed that of the average kindergarten child. Therefore, your child may seem to behave very much like the other age eligible kindergartners, but still may not pass the stringent early entrance requirements.
If you require further information, please do not hesitate to contact the building principal or the school psychologist.